Announcement

Announcement

Welcome to sharing in our adventure!

We welcome you, our family and friends, to share in this exciting adventure with us. This is our blog to share our feelings and stories on this next chapter in our lives. Read, comment, and follow along with us as we experience our journey to parenthood, creating our family!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Why are there booties on it?" ...and... "I gotta hug her first!!"

Knowing Sonia and I were expecting a child was a tough secret to keep...especially from our parents. We both are very close to our parents. We had a plan though; making the secret worth keeping. We wanted to wait until Christmas to tell our parents and do it all in a special, creative, memory making way. This meant we had to keep quiet for almost two weeks and in this two week time period was Sonia's birthday.

Before we get to the stories of how we told our parents, Sonia's birthday dinner with the family. Our parents were trying to buy her drinks for her birthday but of course, she could not drink them. So we had to come up with a way to play it off. Sonia told them she had just started new allergy medicine (which she had) but she could not drink with it (which she did not know for sure since she had not drank since she had the new meds). Sonia went on to explain she drank on the meds (which she didn't) when we were in San Francisco and she got really sick. So she did not want to drink at dinner since she had just taken her allergy pills. ;-)

Good story huh? Well, they bought it and our secret was safe. Whew!

On to Christmas Eve, we spend this night with Sonia's parents at their house. It was go time! We finally got to tell our parents after this night! Sonia found these picture frames at Kohls that had 3 picture spots for mom, dad, and baby which read "mom+dad=me". Its the same picture on this main blog screen at the top. Sonia printed up some pictures of us and a picture of the positive pregnancy as the "baby" picture. She also found some baby booties at Kohls and stuck them to the frame. We then wrapped the frame into a gift box and wrapped it in paper.

After dinner we began to open presents. Sonia and I anxiously awaited the final gift to present to the grandparents-to-be. As the time came, I slyly pulled out the video camera and hit record to capture the moments forever. Kris and Greg were sitting together so we presented them with their joint gift. They began unwrapping the box and then opening the box to uncover our surprise. However, Kris did not understand the message right away. We could tell Greg understood but he withheld his excitement until Kris understood.

Kris saw our photos first and commented, "oh this is cute honey." She didn't see the baby part of the gift yet. Then Kris saw the booties and asked us, "Why are there booties on it?" Then it hit her. "Oh my God! Are you pregnant honey?!?!" Then the tears began to well up. (Them dang onions again heh heh). Greg then jumped up to finally unleash his happiness and hugged Sonia and congratulate us. Kris also hugged and kissed Sonia in celebration. Then I got some hugs and kisses from my awesome in-laws.

Then the times where Sonia had turned down alcohol all made sense (she had accepted a glass of wine that night but didn't touch it and her parents commented how she had not drank any yet). We had a good laugh looking back.

The rest of the night was spent celebrating together, explaining the whole secret keeping times, and discussing what the future held for us. We had just experienced one of life's best moments.

Then we got to experience it for a second time the next day, on Christmas Day with my parents, brothers, aunt, and grandma. I had wrapped up the my frame (the same one Sonia had), without the booties, but instead I included two onesies. One for my mom that had frogs on it (she loves frog stuff) and one for my dad that said "Grandpa's Sidekick" on it.

I had planned to just slide this special gift into the middle of the gift exchange to further the surprise as just another gift. I handed the gift to my mom and told my dad that he should keep an eye on this one since it was sort of for him too. Then I told my brothers, aunt, and grandma to "watch this." This phrase seemed to scare my mom into thinking I was pulling a prank on her, especially since I had also pulled out the video camera. So I decided to play along and assure her it was okay to open. My mom unwrapped the box, opened the box, and within a second of pulling back the tissue paper my mom jumped up screaming in excitement from the froggy onesie! She had barely seen the frame. The froggies were enough for her. Her excitement puzzled the rest of my family. They had asked, "what?? What?!" She exclaimed in a childish voice "They're gonna have a baby!!"

My mom then rushed passed by me saying "I know you're my son, but I gotta hug her (Sonia) first!" Meanwhile my dad hugged and congratulated me while my brothers still stood in shock. My youngest brother Bryan blurted out "Holy shit! Are you serious?!" He still thought we were messing around or something haha. My younger brother Dwayne was happy to state "I'm gonna be an uncle!!" My aunt and grandmother were happy to hear the news as well. This would be my grandma's third great-grandchild.

After Sonia and I had told my parents we called Sonia's parents to come over and celebrate with us. All together as an excited, blessed family, we celebrated with champagne...and apple cider for those who could not drink alcohol ;-) Some of the best 24 hours we have had in our lives and undeniably one of the best Christmas memories we have now. And we have all the great, funny, special moments on video to remember for many years to come!

--Tony

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are blogging!
    You guys are gonna be the best parents ever...you already have a great foundation!!!

    ReplyDelete